Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Just Like Water, Only Less Convenient


Now that summer is in full swing, it’s time we discussed one of the season’s most special treats. It’s time we had an in-depth discussion of the wonders of watermelon.

The people at the National Watermelon Promotion Board were savvy enough to send this to my workplace to see if they could get promotion for their fruit in our medical magazine. Unfortunately, while there’s just not space for this in our publication, I thought I’d do my part and promote the watermelon here.

Watermelon is OK. I’ll eat it if it’s out but I won't seek it out. I guess it’s a healthy fruit since it’s mostly water but sometimes I want my water without the inconvenience of picking seeds out of my teeth.

The people at Big Watermelon are changing my perception, however. They have built an empire on this unwieldy fruit. They are on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube. Their literature has one of those smart phone codes and the little squares are red and green like watermelons. They even sent me a CD-ROM (WOW!) of information.

The colorful pamphlet contains so many mouth-watering recipes (they are guaranteed to be mouth watering because when you eat watermelon, you are basically drinking water). They suggest chipotle wings, which go so much better if I have to pick seeds out of my teeth in addition to watching for bones. The mozzarella sandwich is a great idea since nothing pairs with a slice of cheese better than an ephemeral fruit. The flip-flop cake is not only cute but the combination of lines of sugary icing on top of a bed of watermelon looks delicious. In the morning, who doesn’t have time to sit down and enjoy a six-layer (only six?) breakfast trifle with watermelon? As the pamphlet notes, you can serve that at your next garden party! Because we all live in Downton Abbey!

Best of all, watermelon is great on the grill. The best part is when the heat melts it into red water.

So won’t you check out the wonders of summer watermelon? It’s just like water, only less convenient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment