Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Memo to Justin Bieber


Lately I’ve been reading about your antics: Threatening to beat up paparazzi photographers, getting drunk and peeing in a mop bucket, complaining about not winning music awards. Although you’ve traveled the world and made millions, you still have a lot of life ahead of you so I have some advice for you:

Just keep on doing what you’ve been doing. You’re the best!

Honestly, when I heard you were drunk and pissed in that bucket and cursed out a photo of President Clinton, I thought: There’s a young person who really has his act together. There’s someone who really comports himself with poise in the public eye. That’s behavior that your fans should emulate.

You know why else you’re great, Justin? The whining (or as you Canadians would say, whinging). I was charmed and beguiled by your reaction when your latest album didn’t win any Grammys. Rather than taking the high road and realizing that your career is young and you have many awards ahead, you chose to stomp around and throw a tantrum on Twitter. Finally, a celebrity with some self-awareness.

Your trip to the Anne Frank house just confirmed why I am so impressed by you. Sure, you could have signed the guest book and kept a low profile like the other visitors, focusing on the memory of the dead. Instead, you mentioned how you hoped Anne was a Belieber, keeping the focus squarely on you, which is as it should be in any memorial to a child who died in the Holocaust.

I admit I was skeptical when I first became aware of you. Your music and image seemed geared toward tweens and way too young for me to enjoy. But you’ve really evolved into a mature adult. When you swagger around with your shirt off and curse a blue streak at photographers, I think, “There’s a real man.” It’s a great look for you, Justin.

Speaking of great looks, I have to commend your fashion sense. I am loving that you look like you stepped out of the video for Bell Biv Devoe’s “Do Me.” It has a certain sophistication; a certain je ne sais quoi that will prove timeless in the decades to come.

And those pants with the drop crotch? They are true haute couture. You know you’re on the right track sartorially when people wonder how you can walk without tripping. I’d like to see the inseam drop even lower. Lower. Lower. That’s it. Perfect!

So keep up the good work, Justin. You’re right on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment